MA 90 03(Zelle)
- (due 8/31) I asked you to read section 1.1 and attempt
problems 1-19 (odds only). If you have a textbook and can
do this, go ahead. If you do not yet have a textbook,
don't worry, we will cover the materical in class.
- (due 9/3) Study section 1.2 up to "Properties of Addition and Multiplication."
Practice on a selection of odd Exercises up to #45.
- (due 9/5) Study Appendix A.1 (Review of fractions). Do
enough problems (odd problems in the printed text, or
learn/certify problems in the online version) that you are
comfortable with the material.
- (due 9/7) Study section 1.2b Do enough problems (odd
problems in the printed text, or learn/certify problems in
the online version) that you are comfortable with the
- Reminder: The printed textbooks are in. If you have an
unopened ebook bundle, you can trade it in for the printed
text before 5:00 on Thursday 9/6.
- (due 9/10) Section 1.2 Practice
Do Exercises from
section 1.2 (start p. 23) 41--79 Odds. If you do not have
a printed copy of the book, you can login to Manhattan VC
(aka Socrates) and find the problems there. They are also
accessible by clicking the ebook link in HawkesLearning.
- (due 9/12) Section 1.3 Study/practice
- Read/study section 1.3
- Work enough problems from each section of the
exercise set so that you are confident you can do the required work.
- Come to class with written solutions (not just an answer) to
questions 89, 91, and 93.
- (due 9/14) Section 1.4a Study/practice
the first 2 subsections of section 1.4 (combining like
terms and linear equations in one variable). Work enough problems
in the first two sections of the exercises so that you are confident you
can work those types of problems.
- (due 9/17) Work the 6 problems from section 1.4 that
were assigned at the end of class and be prepared to hand
them in on Monday. Start studying section 1.5.
- (due 9/19) Continue working on section 1.5. You should try
working all of the add examples. Bring all questions to class.
- (due 9/21) Practice for practice exam. Work on review problems
in on pages 96 and 97 (Chapter review sections 1.1--1.5). Skip
questions 59--61. Bring quesitons to class.
- (due 9/24) Read/study section 1.6. Work at least 5 of
the odd exercises for the section. Try to choose problems
that sound interesting to you.
- (due 9/26) Continue with section 1.6. Work at least 5
more problems. Bring questions to class and be prepared to turn-in
and/or share your solutions.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Exam 1 is Friday (9/28) The
syllabus says our first exam is this coming Wednesday, but
we are pushing it back until Friday.
- (due 10/3) Section 1.6 exercises (p 66+)
problems 16, 18, 20, 26, and 28. Your solutions should
- a clear statement of the variable being used
- a listing in English and math of the important
quantities in the problem
- an equation to solve to find the value of teh variable
- a sequence of equivalent equations leading to the solution
- a clear statement in English of your conclusion.
- Handout (10/1)
For those who were not in
class, the "Enlish to Math" worksheet
- (due 10/8) Section 1.6 (p 69)
Do all the
problems on page 69. Your write-ups (see previous
assignment) should be suitable for hand-in at the
beginning of class. Reminder: due to yesterday's outfly,
we do not have class on Friday (10/5).
- (due 10/10) Section 1.6 (Still)
You should have problem # 30 on page 69 nicely worked
out and ready for hand-in at the start of class.
- (due 10/10) Read/Study Section 1.7
Work a sampling of odd problems 1--73. Bring your questions
- (due 10/12) Section 1.7
Do problems 21-43 (odds only)
- (due 10/15) Read/Study Section 2.1
Read/study section 2.1 including the introductory material. Come
to class prepared to ask questions. If you really don't have any
questions, work exercises until you do :-).
- (due 10/17) Section 2.1
Work problems: 5, 6, 11, 12, 17, 18, 22, 35, 36, 57, 58
- (due 10/19) Section 2.2
Do odd numbered problems 1--35 and 50--57. Make sure to check
your answer AFTER working a problem. Bring questions to class.
- (due 10/22) Section 2.3
Do odd numbered problems 1--21, 27--41, 45--49.